1. Sam is feeling much better. Thanks to all who have inquired about him over the past week. No ear infection, just your standard five-day virus. He is back to his usual eating/talking/sleeping/pooping routine.
2. Being that this blog’s name is a play on a Raymond Carver short story, we feel obligated to call attention to any and all Raymond Carver sightings in pop culture at large. Everything Must Go, starring Will Ferrell as a divorced alcoholic who lives in his front yard, is based on the short story “Why Don’t You Dance,” the first story from Carver’s collection What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. Thank you to Michael Link for reminding us of this fact.
3. The Utah Jazz snagged the third pick in last night’s draft lottery. The last time Utah drafted this high was 2005, when it landed Deron Williams. With any luck, the Jazz land another Williams this year, Derrick. And by “luck” we mean “David Kahn and the Minnesota Timberwolves drafting second.”
4. Jumping sports, when the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-1 last Monday, it marked the first time in seven years that the Buccos were above .500 this late in the season. Pittsburgh has lost six in a row since.
5. Another plug for Bossypants.
Now excuse us while we run to the supermarket for some more night cheese.