We like to play a little game, usually on Sunday evenings over dinner or a walk, called “Highs & Lows.” It’s pretty much exactly what the name implies: we share the highs and lows of our past week. Occasionally we take a broader look back over a season or calendar year. Today being Labor Day, let’s reflect now on the Highs and Lows that our summer had to offer.
- We made trips to Portland, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Missouri.
- The Guldin family came to visit.
- Vincent D’Onofrio continues to bring justice to the greater New York area.
- Erin got a speeding ticket.
- We paid money to see The X-Files: I Want To Believe.
- We sat behind people who narrated the entire movie for us.
- Lots of our friends are now parents.
- Polls indicate we are the hipster aunt and uncle of choice.
- And as for our personal parenting, most of our plants survived the summer, giving us much-needed momentum heading into summer 2009.
- We still have not gotten our computer back. (The trial was rescheduled for the end of this month.)
- Ben’s peg leg is beginning to rot.
- The smell is unholy awful.
- Our house did not get broken into for the fifth straight month.
- Neither of us pooped the bed for the third straight month.
- Back-to-back months: gout free!
- We got two flat tires. (Both Ben.)
- Erin was dq’d in her Olympics fencing match at Beijing.
- In a rage, she speared an innocent baby panda.
MORE LOWS THAT JUST NOW OCCURRED TO US
- We were yet again overlooked as two of People’s “Most Beautiful People.”
- Erin’s job offer to be an analyst for “Baseball Tonight” fell through when she failed a literacy test.
- We were indicted on tax fraud.
EVEN MORE CRIPPLING LOWS
- That debilitating botulism that kept us bedridden for all of June.
- The expired mayonnaise in the back of the fridge that almost ate Scooter Thomas.
- Now 2008! Spring/Summer CD did not live up to expectations.
THERE’S GOTTA BE A HIGH WE LEFT OUT
- Oh yeah, we joined the Y!
- We are on our way to rock hard abs.